EL PASO, Texas – The Sun Bowl Association is now accepting applications for the 2019-20 Sun Court. Young women from the El Paso area will have the opportunity to represent the city and be community ambassadors during events such as the Sun Bowl Parade on Thanksgiving morning and the Hyundai Sun Bowl football game on Dec. 31, 2019.
“We found out that by getting the application out earlier, it allowed those interested in applying to look at their schedules so that they can be a part of all the events we have,” said Sun Bowl Association Executive Director Bernie Olivas. “This is a wonderful tradition for the Sun Bowl and for El Paso. History has shown that we have some of the best women in the community to represent the Sun Bowl Association and the City of El Paso.”
The Sun Court is a tradition that dates back to 1935 and is an important part of the history of the Sun Bowl. Selection is based on poise, appearance, personality, communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to demonstrate knowledge of El Paso. Contestants must also be a female between the ages of 18-22 (as of Sept. 1), not be married or have children, and be enrolled as a full-time student.
Applications are available online at sunbowl.org and can be emailed to Amber Herrera at email@example.com. Deadline to apply is Friday, June 7, 2019 by 3 p.m. (MT).
For questions, please contact the Sun Bowl Association Office at (915) 533-4416.
Eligibility and Rules:
All Sun Princess applicants must fit criteria in order to be eligible.
• A female between the ages of 18-22 (as of Sept. 1) and have completed one year of college
• Have not been married and have not had any children
• Must be enrolled as a full-time student taking a minimum of 12 academic hours or full time in a graduate program
• A cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (Transcript must be included with application)
• Sun Princesses may not hold any other title during the time they are members of the Sun Court (i.e. Miss El Paso, Miss Texas, etc…)
• Responsible for their own transportation costs to attend mandatory events
Application/Submission Process: Official application, an official transcript, a professional resume, a color head shot no larger than 5×7, and an essay (500 words or less) telling us about yourself; include school activities and awards, community involvement, employment and why you want to be a Sun Princess.